Better Strangers

#1
July 15, 1792

The small but comfortable palazzo had several entrances, some more obvious than others, and it was through one of the better concealed approaches that Cassandra conducted the two guests through. The lady of the home did not entertain often, and either of her two male foreigner guests could have stirred quite a scandal upon sight.

“You may await my Lady’s arrival in the parlor,” Cassandra said, but a sound overhead drew all their eyes upward. Elvira Malatesta descended the stairs in a dark, elegant gown. Her bearing was all dominance, her intent square in her shoulders and her red lips, which curled with a sultry venom.

“Thank you, my dear Cassandra.” As she reached the ground floor, La Vipera waved her slender hand. “My esteemed guests. Please settle in comfortably. Is there anything I can refresh you with?”

Her wording was intentional. There was plenty La Vipera could refresh the two men with, that much was clear; but since neither of their hearts were free, the response was comparably minimal. “Tea it is, then,” Elvira said with a little smirk as she curtsied and took a seat. Ever the gentlemen, her guests bowed and followed her example.

“So,” Elvira said. “It is not often I host both a French duke and a British ambassador.”

The guests smiled, full of charity. As long as La Vipera had something to give them, their patience was endless.

“The son of a British ambassador, Signora, but all the same, the pleasure is mine.” Robert Castle folded his hands.

“And I must say, it is not often I am in the presence of such beauty and cunning.” Olivier d’Anjou provided the suave return. Elvira placed a hand to her bosom as though flattered.

“Well, you certainly charm me, Your Grace. Sir Ambassador, I observe the demeanor of the British in you.” Elvira chuckled. “Your letter was vague, my kind sirs. What can I do for you?”

Olivier began to answer, but Elvira held up a hand as Cassandra served the tea. Once everyone was set, she nodded. “Please continue.”

“You wield much influence, and your name and personage are much respected, as you should be,” Robert began, and Elvira smiled at his improved approach. “We would ask assistance of you, quite humbly, and offer adequate services in return.”

“You have my interest, gentlemen,” Elvira said.

“Various interests require the travel of my colleague here, Sir Castle, into Paris,” Olivier said. “We have been informed that you have contacts that can help us ensure his safe passage across the border between Venice and Switzerland.”

Elvira’s lips twitched. She folded her hands. After a silence, she asked, “Why might a French duke send an Englishman into Paris?”

“For reasons that would make less sense if I explained them,” Olivier said.

“Then why would I assist in such a foolish endeavor?” Elvira asked.

Olivier replied, “Because I can get you the support you need in your own foolish endeavors.”

Elvira’s reaction was muted. She successfully kept the surprise from showing on her face. “Why, Your Grace, I am tickled to hear that you trouble yourself with my endeavors.”

“Your endeavors are of the utmost interest, my dear Viper,” Olivier returned with a smile as cold and shapeless as snow. “I imagine the Doge and his council, or at least what exists of it, would be equally interested to learn that you wish to upset their rule.”

Her lips curled. “How curious. Where did you learn of such tidings?”

“Much is said within the walls of an embassy,” Robert said. “I cannot remember just where I heard that tidbit. Perhaps upon my safe return from Paris I will have a clearer mind.”

Elvira took a sip of tea. Then she laughed heartily. “Well done, gentlemen. You have earned my respect, inasmuch as I can give it.”

Robert set aside his teacup. “Have we also earned your assistance?”

“First, two questions.” Elvira eyed them. “What are your dates of travel, and are you traveling alone, Sir Castle?”

“The first two weeks of August,” Robert said, “and yes.”

“That is unacceptable,” Elvira said. “I will send someone to accompany you. If you do not come back safely, I will lose the most advantageous part of this bargain.”

“Agreed,” Olivier said before Robert could refuse the company. He had not wanted Robert to travel either, so he seized the opportunity.

“Good,” Elvira said. “I will contact you when I have made the arrangements.”

After discussing a few finer points of the proposed trip, the two men departed. A week later, everything was set.
word count: 768

Return to “IV. Santa Croce”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron