"I knew only the name Bessina. I have never known her surname," Nane tried to appease the angry woman.
No matter what signora Frascatti, shocked by the crime, had assumed, Francesco hadn't known either that she was the brothel matron. Yes, he knew her name since that party two weeks ago, and he could remember it, but he was sent just to find someone from the brothel to recognize the victim. Signora Frascatti happened to be that one. And now he was trying his best to take the notes as quickly and as well as possible, to spare the poor woman from that sight.
As the discussion came about the body, Nane added:
"She said she had family in a village around Udine. She never said where, but it is too far away. I agree with you that they wouldn't have wanted it back. And if she didn't want to return home when alive, then in death… it's less likely. As far as I know Stephane, when he learns the bad news, he would want to help you as much as he can with taking care of the funeral. Now, if I am excused, I'd return to my ship."
The sergeant allowed him to leave. He knew where to find the man if further questions were needed, and he had given his declaration on the circumstances of finding the body.
At her question if she was needed more, the sergeant replied:
"Only a little more, to get the declaration finished and for you to sign it.
Those who didn't know to write their names, put a mark after it was read to them. But in Venice more people were able to read – easier or with more difficulty – and at least to write their names than in other countries, he had heard.
- Nane's story continues here -
@Atrice








